From my Best Fren in the armyz AKA Best Signaller In SI n 3Gds
========================================================
Weiheng
The recent slew of posts really has really brought about a whole lot of attention to our currently underused Yahoo! Groups. It reminds us that winter is a time to reflect, to learn from others as well as ourselves, and eventually allow the melting snow to cleanse the land and bring about spring anew, like in all of us. And I, like many others already, will contribute my bit to this cause.
I am sure everyone remembers me as the broken, despondent soul that was sitting at the corner of the 5-Tonner as made our trip to Bedok Camp 2, home of 3Guards. I recall Don sitting across me making lewd noises at girls and Eng Kiat occasionally giving me concerned looks. I remember those feelings of depression and shock on that day, and how horrid I must have appeared. However, I am glad to see that while this moment of weakness was the first impression to my then unfamiliar friends, you all did not judge me for that. Thank you. (Though it still surfaces as a joke now and then~)
Looking back, I can only marvel at the strength and tenacity of this disparate bunch of people who seem to have little in common. We have survived countless tests that brought about loads of pain, suffering and seemly endless amount of sweat. None of us snapped. None of us gave in. We have been through it all and done it all. And more often than not, it will end up with a nice long bath, a massive amount of cleaning up, and a humongous order of MacDonald’s and their soggy fries to fill our tummies as we watch VCDs.
Like Kar Ken and Jiancheng before me, I remember all those things that were mentioned. Defining moments in our journey in 3Guards I would call them. The good and the bad. The people who did come through, and unfortunately, those who didn’t. And all in all, I would say there is more good in this platoon than anyone would have believed at first, and it is this good that has made the happy memories of Sentosa, watching NDP from the side of the track, lounging together in bunk, and the clearing of loads of saikang all possible.
And at this point, I would like to take the time to express some form of gratitude to the people of this platoon:
To Eng Kiat, who has been my bunk mate from the days of yore of SI. He who has been a true friend, who stuck around and supported me when I was down. You have done so much that words alone aren’t enough. So I can only say thank you. And also…sorry for the many times I made you angry over nonsense I have done.
To Jingxi, my fellow S3 signaller who somehow didn’t get to make it to ATEC beside me. To me, you will always be the other S3 signaller. Looking out for each other, watching each others backs while we were out there suffering. I will never forget the times you shared your water with me and your strength as well. You may be the smaller person, but I feel that you are the bigger man.
To Tim Tay, who has always challenged me intellectually and stood alongside me as we charged into the depths of spiritual thought and discussions of the profound. I will never forget the ideas you have gave me, the things you have showed me, and the books that you have lent me. You who was beside me as well in times of darkness (literally), and a willing companion of our endless meaningful conversations. Thank you.
To Don, Edmund and Winston, the trio of Bunk 2. The three of you have added a strange twist to the otherwise boring homogeneity of this platoon and passed to us ways of thinking that were different from us. The spice and pepper of this platoon, and Winston, the laughing powder, thanks.
To Qirong, my dear bunk mate from SI. We may not have talked much, but you have definitely impressed me with your quirky humour, amazing endurance and superior intellect. I will definitely remember you….thanks.
To Kar Ken, my kaki in PS2 games and anime alike. You have been very good company in the time that we spent together. All those times joking and chatting incessantly about games and Kage Bunshin no Jutsu. Your essay was the real inspiration for writing mine. Thanks a lot.
To Junhong, my fellow hardworking Ops Spec. I can only say I got to know you much better since going to S3 Branch together, and that in times of need, you are someone I can really rely on…thanks.
To Jackson, the man who never says no. Your selflessness is an inspiration to all. And I really want to learn from you in that aspect. Also, I want to thank you for entertaining the platoon on so many nights with your countless VCDs. Thanks, and see you in NUS Science!
To Jared, who was another accomplice in length discussions about the profound. Your thoughts and insights were a challenging alternative to Timothy’s that broadened our scope of thought and at times gave us direction as well. You along with Jackson are icons of selflessness, whom I have come to respect. You always stick to it till the end, and I thank you for everything. All the best for your future.
To Yicai, Jiancheng, Changtai, Cheng Guan, Jevon and Siqi, I’m sorry I don’t have much to say to you all. But you all have brought magic sparks to my time here in 3Guards that I will never forget. Yicai with his massive change from guai kia to lewd bastard…haha. Jiancheng and his sacrifices as driver and platoon receptionist. Cheng Guan with his thrift and hum sup look. Jevon with his French and ever so sexy lips ( I mean it!). And Siqi and his million dollar questions.
And last but not least to Dom Soh, my metrosexual ( and possibly bisexual) friend. You have been the best of company, a good confidant and someone whom I respect. You have reminded me of things I have forgotten, the way some things should be and above all, what friends are for. Thank you.
I suppose that covers almost everybody in this platoon. You all have touched my life in many different ways that I would never forget. We are and will always be signal platoon. I hope the Yahoo! Groups will serve its purpose and help keep us in contact as I know that you all are a group of people worth knowing and keeping. Thanks…
Ekz: I will always remb the times we spent together in SI. The times we happily spent with John Foo, Kah Kuan, Yong Sia n Jianliang. The days we tok cock sing song together. Those memories were the highlights of my whole of army life. I nver felt so appreciated n happy in the army. Sadly Good thngs hav to come to an end though. We hav to get seperated. Remb the day we went up the 5tonner bahz? Thought i was the only one frm the grp goin to 3Gds but I saw u with ur dumb duffel bag. WTF.... I feel sad 4 u Cos u get posted to such a far camp. ... but I can do nthng...I onli watch frm afar.
Anywayz When we r in bunk n outside, sometimes I do crack stupid jokes n do damn stupid stuff to irritate u, but seriously speakin... I dun mean it.I do it bcos I wan to make our fellow platoon mates bond abit n sometimes destress.
U wun blame mi wun u? :)
Lastly watz I wan to say to u is... B urself n dun care watz others say bout u.I dun see anythng wrng by tryin to keep fit.
I dun see anythng wrng with doin some stupid stuff to make urself less stressful.
Jus b yaself Thats the only way to live a life without regrets.
Good Luck Weiheng! My best Buddy frm SI till.... hpe we b best of buddy all the wayz.
Ciaoz! ORDz lor!!!!!!!!
PS: Pardon mi 4 my England
Monday, December 20, 2004
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Very nice site! Undelete web email lipitor 10mg Damage to dropped laptop dsl 504 adsl router over the counter medications for treating acne scars budget enterprise car rental 1995 ford mustang gt convertible Car rentals wichita Car audio buick riviera radio weight loss
Post a Comment