Friday, December 17, 2004

Somethng frm "Big eye" Guard-man/signaller n Palz Karken

=================================================

I dunno hw to name this



It was interesting reading what Timothy and Jiancheng had thought about all that had happened in 3 Guards and I really wish to know what everyone else thinks of this experience we had shared together too. So I thought perhaps I could chip in a little and get the ball rolling.



I am pretty sure everyone remembers the outfield experiences since they were for the most part, unforgettable. Perhaps I would detail some things I remember through the course of 3 Guards Signal Platoon that were not outfield.



There was that fateful day in signal course when we were called up for an interview with some 3 Guards Signal commanders. There was a 2LT that looked like a oversized fish ball (no malevolent intentions), one sergeant that looks like an uncle, and two tall, garang-looking sergeants. The uncle-like sergeant turned out to be our beloved Sgt Chua; the tall, garang-looking sergeants turned out to be not so garang after all; and the round 2LT turned out to be something totally unmentionable.



I recall the shock I had when I discovered I was posted to 3 Guards, despite all my self-consolations that my rigged IPPT results would get me to somewhere more desirable, like 21SA, instead of the physically demanding 3 Guards. But I get over shocks after a while, like everyone else.

Then again, it must have been pretty bad because I do not seem to remember much the first day in Bedok Camp II. The beds and lockers were in pretty good condition but I ended up in the Pioneer bunk. I recall after that there were the first Guards PT sessions, a fast march, monotonous Signal revision lessons, long but enjoyable ECP runs and subsequently the horrible giant cloth.



The NDP rehearsals and preparation were tons of fun really. Remember picking up the Touch community members and organising them in the buses? Remember the times we sat down together for KFC and the rare Pizza Hut lunches? Remember going down the steps during the rehearsals to the track? Remember the countless times One United People was played? Remember the weird fuzzy feeling when that song was played on National Day itself? Remember what it was like under the exploding fireworks and rising red white balloons? I remember them vividly.

As you may also remember, I had made my decision to leave for the Brunei attachment a short while before that. It is all because of the giant cloth, I tell you. No, at that point of time it was partly financial, partly experience, and partly getting away from 3 Guards.



I left for Brunei soon after NDP in August and returned in February when we were in Jurong Island for Ops Basinet. Little had changed in the platoon. Sgt Chua had already ORDed by then and we had a PSC scholar for our new PC, though Yam was still around at that time. But the real challenge was after Basinet, as we began our slow but steady build up towards ATEC. I had some trouble trying to get used to the life in 3 Guards initially yet I am really grateful for everyone's care and concern that helped to tide me over that trying period.

Then came the slew of route marches and outfield exercises. But thanks to Shungyar, Eng Kiat, etc, we had numerous platoon cohesions to recover our depleted energy. The Sentosa trip was really memorable what with all the searing heat, babe-watching, lame amateur water polo and failed attempts at beach rugby. There is also the dinner we had where we first met our third BSO, LTA (now CPT) David.



But I believed what I missed most are actually the times spent in the bunk, especially as it gets to the evening. There were the times we chatted freely with one another about our interests and beliefs. There were also the times we watched horror flicks together in the dark in Bunk 2, hugging ourselves as the scary part comes up, and then bursting out in laughter as someone cracks a joke to relieve the mounting tension. We made it a point never to miss those Singapore Idol episodes as we saw the contestants getting eliminated from the comfort of our bunk. We had fun playing bizarre card games provided by Jared. We had times lying in bed reading misleading Dan Brown novels or simply just daydreaming. I missed sitting down for long sessions of Go with Cheng Guan, Yicai and Chang Tai. Or shooting hoops in the basketball games. In fact, I even miss the times when everyone gets called down for saikang :)



I have a friend from 7SIB Signal Company who was in Brunei with me for some time and he asked me, after he had returned to Singapore, if I had regretted coming back to 3 Guards. I certainly do not think so. It had been a really incredible experience for me and I am glad I am part of the Signal Platoon.

All things come to an end, but I hope this could also be the beginning of much more for many of us.



We have been walking together on the same path for more than a year. In the near future and even now, we will be walking down our very own separate paths. Even if one day we shall tire, perhaps we can find strength in those that have walked with us before.





Ekz: I'm realliz happy thatz u settle well after ur return frm Brunei. Still remb hw we tried our best to discourage u frm goin Brunei 4 half yr? Still remb hw sad ya Fav Sergt Chua was when all was confirmed? Haha! Time flies man! Anywayz, take care my fren! All the best!

No comments: