Somethng Frm fellow Signal/Driver n Fren Jiancheng
==============================================
Declaration
One year ten months. This is the amount of time I have spent wearing that green uniform of the Singapore Armed Forces. One year five months. This is the amount of time when I am privileged to have spent with the signal platoon of 3 Guards.
I still remember the first day I entered the majestic complex of Bedok Camp II. We were all traveling from our previous home known to us as the Signal Institute, based in creaky complex of Stagmont Camp, our hearts filled with trepidation. What kind of life would we have being in a Guards Battalion? Will we be able to go through with the tough training the “Guards” title promises? Many questions but no answers. Then we were ushered into the square of the battalion, known to all as the “Victory Square”.
And now, our closed knitted friendship is going to be tested with a few of us moving on to other places in Singapore. We have lost Jiawei in Brunei and many of us are losing Zhiguo there also, not to mention people like Alvin, Yujian, Jianwei and Om. However I have these to say to you.
To Cheng Guan, thank you for being the dirty one, the thrifty one and the helpful one of the platoon. You support me when I am stressed by the loads of driving tasks and many times, cheer the bunk up by your obscene jokes and money-spending complaints. Thank you.
To Eng Kiat, you are one who teaches me the harsh nature of society, another good partner in sharing the driving woes. You help me much in preventing me from going crazy from excessive driving and many times help us to stand up for our rights as drivers doing extra driving duties, even though in the end, you gained nothing much from it yourself. Thank you.
To Don, our platoon oldest soldier, minus Shung Ya, I look up to you as one who has weathered the most in society. Even back in the months in SI, your stories about life actually teach me some lessons that I try to remember. Somehow, you shaped a bit of the maturity I gained in army. Thank you.
To Siqi, my BMTC platoon mate, I thank you for your jokes you sometimes crack in the bunk, although many times I regretted not knowing you much, since you are in the same platoon as me for the whole time, save the time in SI.
To Junhong, how you really get addicted into one game and how you are so determined to quit playing the game after a few months really amazes me. All of the sudden, you get so much more professional than me who started playing the same game about 3 years ago. Funny at times, and serious when needed, you are an extremely good friend I have made in my army years. There is always a winner, and if there is a competition of bestest friend made, there would have to be you. Thank you.
To Jared, thank you for the fun you bring into the platoon as a game-bringer. Thank you for the effort you always put in in all the ordeals the platoon had to go through. Thank you for bringing into me some spiritual concepts in the few conversations we had with Timothy when I came into your bunk when there is no movie screening. You have been keeping the spirits up during those little little time. Thank you.
To Timothy, my inspiration to achieve. As you might have guessed. I write this because of how devoted you are in getting those essays out. You do not do it for the rewards, since you write more than you submit. You strive to improve yourself during those free times we have during the years. Indeed, you are one factor that makes me want to learn something in my 2 years here. Your jokes always left me baffled. Sorry. =P
To Jackson, the energetic person who helps every person in every possible way. He who never says no to requests. I appreciate those help I got from you all these while. Of course, those scientific conversations when we dissect Diablo 2 bit by bit, it’s incredible how one can research so deeply into one subject. Thank you.
To Weiheng, the big guy in the platoon. I won’t say that you have a small brain, because many a times, I feel that your solutions to platoon problems are logical, albeit a bit erring on the safe side. You want the platoon to thrive safely without too much problems and I agree with you. Maybe I am not as vocal as you are, maybe I am labeled as having a short anger fuse, so I didn’t really voice out my ideas too often. Thank you for protecting us.
To Yicai, I felt quite bad not knowing you well enough back in Secondary School and even in VJC, and I really felt strange when you speak to Changtai in Mandarin and to me in English. But then, hey, in the end, we got along ok, having the bad interest on watching stuff we don’t understand. Your dirty humour sometimes makes you a bit of a buaya, though. Thanks for the joy and fun you bring me.
To Qirong, you are one person that talks! One-hour conversations on the phone with you are common. Filled to the brim with knowledge I can leech from, but sometimes having that stressed out face. Not sure if it is from your systematic way of Chinese learning though. Relac a bit lah! Wish you all the best in your studies, but here’s one thing – Languages must be practised not learnt. My Japanese learning failed miserably, cause I don’t use it much.
To Kar Ken, doing things for us in the background and not taking all the glory. You helped me in many little things I did not acknowledge at the point of time. You pair up well with Yicai in many things including the interest in Japanese Language and Anime. Thank you.
To Changtai, the one who talks to me the most on the radio, we have continued braving the storms in S4 Branch. Lets stand up to it for yet another two months.
To Jingxi, … … … I don’t know what to say.
To the whole platoon, we are going on our separate ways in less than three months. In this previous one year, ten months, I have experience joy, sorrow and much change in perspective due to all of you. This journey we walked may not be a smooth one, but it is filled with many memories that only we, the signal platoon of 3rd Battalion Singapore Guards 11th Mono, can get to taste.
Ekz: Veri touch by wat u write... Tears wan flow out liaoz...*Sniff* 2yrs 4mths jus gone like taz.... Anywayz thank u 4 helping me drive when i dun feel like doin so. Thank u 4 b tolerant towards such a stubborn mi. Thank u 4 tolerating my nonsensical jokes n sometmes actions. Thanks 4everythng man....U r a good person.
Wednesday, December 15, 2004
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Very nice site! deaths with out medical insurance breast enhancement First time tv gate opener in orange county california Ocean city maryland culinary school Blonde banger pic Daywoo car navigation systems
Keep up the good work Waterbed drawers diy childrens asthma yoga powerball lottery wellbutrin cold medicine Review barcode scanners Internet answering machine free and not call wave number of teenagers with allergies Ritalin withdrawls Effects from neurontin side Platinum and gold engagement rings asthma tamoxifen installing washer drain pipe Rhinoplasty dies Human+allergy+to+dog
Post a Comment